Monday, February 22, 2010

THE PUZZLE IS FINALLY DONE :)

This one started out "fast and furious" like so many quilts, but then it started taking a back seat to this and that and one thing or another. Then about two weeks ago I started to panic cuz I realized that it was now February, which meant the "Autism Walk" was just around the corner! There was no more "no need to worry cuz I've got months to finish it" floating around in my head cuz those "months" had ever so quickly changed to "weeks!" Sooooooo, I put the "metal to the peddle" ... or is that the "peddle to the metal????" Either way, it's now a done deal :)

My friend Diannia had suggested that I use "green" for the inside border ... I really loved the thoughts of that; but I have sooooo much "yellow" in my stash, so I decided to stick with the original plan. Well, Diannia was right, cuz it looked soooooooo bland, which is why I ended up using the "rick rack." I think it did the trick.

I did a bunch of small stippling in the puzzle pieces, some sort of "I don't know what you'd call it" on the inside border and then a bunch of free motion doodling in the outer border. Somehow or another during that whole process, my board that the machine sits on jumped the daggone track!!! That was a first for me and was quite worrisome for about 5 minutes, but it all ended well :)

I also had a bit of an issue with some "gathering" on the back, which was also a first for me! Shhhhhhhh though, cuz I've decided to keep quiet on that one :) My friend Eileen said "washing" would take care of it pretty well ... and she was right! A lot less noticeable when it came out of the dryer :)

My Sister-in-Law, Betsy, is now gonna take it and "raffle it off." I soooooo hope she does well with it :) I had lots of sweet thoughts of our Nephew, A.J., while I was making it ... sent up lots of prayers for him and all the other folks living with Autism during the whole process too.

"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds," declares the LORD." (Jeremiah 30:17)

8 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! I love the ric rac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is SO cute!! Your quilting is superb. Great job!! Certainly hope the raffle is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    I love the puzzle quilt! And your quilting is gorgeous! I am a huge fan of rick rack ... love it!
    Blessings & Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful quilt. I wish I could be so talented! The ric rac adds so much to this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with this quilt. I've seen it other places and I always think "I need that!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan it is Deanna- Mary Lynns friend from Knit Wits. I love the quilt, I just forwarded your blog address to a friend of mine who is very involved with Autism fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Jan I think it's just PERFECT !!!! and also a very good cause .... my cousin's little boy is autistic .... my cousin is an instructor at the Naval Academy and organizes a run/marathon every year at Annapolis to benefit autism research .

    ReplyDelete