Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"QUILTS FOR KIDS :)"

"Quilts for Kids" is an Organization you may have heard of ... they provide quilts for kids in need both here and abroad. They now have a Corporate Sponsor ... Downey; and if you go on to their Website, you can request a "kit," which comes to you like this:

Everything except the "batting" and the "binding" is included ... even the label; and it comes all "cut" and ready to sew. It truly doesn't get any easier and that baggie filled with goodies turns into this in just a few short hours :)

It still needs to be quilted and bound but it is definitely a "piece of cake" as long as you don't sew one of the rows upside down like I did! Yeap, that swearing you heard last night was coming from Davie!

Anyway, when you order a kit, they challenge you to also make one from your own stash, which I will definitely do :)


I have several friends who donate sooooooooooo much of their time to wonderful causes such as "Quilts for Kids," like Janet, who has devoted countless hours to this particular cause. They are all to be commended and I'm sure they will each and everyone continue to inspire me to try to do more, so thanks girls!

"But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." (Luke 12:48)

4 comments:

  1. Jan,
    This is the greatest idea! Downey is doing a great thing and you are too. I would love to make some of these after the wedding quilt is completed.
    Thanks for being such a sweet blogging friend.
    Blessings & Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan. I don't think I have your email. I have been going to answer your questions to me but I couldn't find your email address. ANyway thanks for your sweet comments about the helpers in Haiti. It is so incredible to me. My new washer and dryer deliver tomorrow. I went for thrift not design. Red would have been wonderful. But I'm ok with white. I'll have to take a pic for next week after they are in. I'm excited. I love this quilt. It is so funny because I'm working on a new quilt desing for a 'secret' project that has a block similar to this pattern. This is really a good idea. I had no idea Downey did this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan! What a great quilt. It seems like a great organization and I may need to participate myself. Thankyou for sharing this. I'm sure your quilt will put a smile on a young childs face at a time when it is very difficult to smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just requested a kit to make one, too! And I'm sending one for Jessie as well... About a week after I got home from Wisconsin with my new sewing machine she went out and got herself a Brother:) We went into Mamaw's Thimble the other day and I got her a jelly roll for her birthday, and I think she's picked a quilt off modabakeshop to make now. Can we say copy cat?! Juuust kidding:)
    I have lots of pictures to show you of some little things I've made since I last talked to you, but as I have been kind of mad at my computer the last couple of weeks, I haven't uploaded anything, so I'll send them along once we've completely made up!
    xoxo Mandy

    ReplyDelete