Wednesday, July 22, 2009

HERE'S #4!

#4 meaning the "last quilt on the ladder" and here it is :)


Gene picked this one up while we were doing a job over on the West Coast a few years back. There's this great little antique type flea market shop that he loves to browse through over in Ft. Myers and he was soooooooo excited when he happened across this ... quite proud of himself when he got home :) It reminds me of oodles of "wagon wheels."


I love the way she (he) did the outer edges too and she (he) quilted it with embroidery floss, which is something I've never seen done before. It made for some pretty big stitches ... you know the "toe snagging" kind!!!


I'd love to know more about the maker and when it was completed; but once again, there's no label. It's got a couple of areas that need patching, which I should really do; but I am sooooooo not fond of "mending." Just ask my DBIL! He brought me a pair of shorts to hem, which I kept for 3 years!!!! He finally got them back and took them up to the local dry cleaner. I really did plan on doing them for him (LOL).

Well, this brings our "first" ladder to a close :) Hope you enjoyed!!!

"When God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work -- this is a gift of God." (Ecclesiastes 5:19)

3 comments:

  1. Jan, I love this quilt. There's a lot of work in putting that one together. It would be really neat to know more about the maker. Gene found a great one!! Hope he is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is phenomenal. I sure wish I had some of the quilts that my DGM made. Re: the embroidery floss, there is a great little book "The Quilter's Stitch Bible" that shows all kinds of embroidery stitches on quilts. Wonderful. Just hope to get to it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it is a treasure. Love those vintage quilts. They inspire me so much.

    ReplyDelete