Thursday, June 4, 2009

DIDN'T MEAN TO LEAVE YOU HANGING ...........

.......... hanging???? remember???? Gene's desert choice last weekend??? Surely you've been sitting on the edge of your chair waiting to hear what it was, haven't you???? Or is this news only exciting in Davie???? (LOL).


Virginia's Lemon Ice Box Pie (Gene's Mama's Recipe)

1 can Sweet 'n Condensed Milk (the ff option works, but doesn't set up as well)
1/2 cup real lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
1 to 2 tsps grated lemon peel
2 egg yolks
1 Graham Cracker Crust (store bought or homemade)

Beat the first 4 ingredients together, pour into the fifth and refrigerate for several hours :) Don't forget to lick the bowl, cuz it's good stuff!!!!!!!!

Gene woke up shortly after I made the pie and I told him he had a surprise in the frig. He said "Lemon Ice Box Pie???" I said "yeap :)" He said "how many did you make??????" The Big Nut!!!!! He was right to be worried about that quantity tho, cuz I ended up having to make 2 more.

After making it, I realized the "2 egg yolks w/o cooking" is probably a "no no" in 2009! It's an old, old recipe, so I Googled it on Monday; and I found quite a few different variations to choose from. Gene survived many years of the raw egg yolks and I survived many years of the same w/my Mom's incredibly delicious eggnog, but I think I might eliminate that the next time he requests his Mama's Lemon Ice Box Pie.

"Rejoice in the LORD always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Phillippians 4:4)

3 comments:

  1. I make one where you use lemonade, condensed milk and whipped cream. It is called Lemonade pie, and is very tasty. You put it in a graham cracker crust too. I guess if you guys have survived this long eating raw eggs, you will probably be ok, though. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are supposed to resist all this great stuff???????

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you are a smart girl to add that counter.

    ReplyDelete